We are all aware of how stressful moving can be. There are several things you need to do and you always have a feeling that you have forgotten something. There is a lot of emotional strain involved in moving as well. The stress involved in moving is so bad for many people that there are several articles written on the topic. Changing your home can turn out to be a complicated experience. You have to take into account many details such as change of address for payments and subscriptions. Here are some handy and practical tips to make the moving experience a less stressful one.
1. Accept the stress as it is a normal part of moving: The initial step for overcoming the stress is accepting it. If you can acknowledge that you are going to incur stress during the move, you are less likely to suffer more when it happens. You will be better prepared for it. Keep in mind that stress is a normal human response to demanding circumstances. But you have control over how you are going to react to the stress. You may take it negatively and suffer or you can work your way through it to accomplish great heights.
2. Keep organized: One of the important things that will help you before, during, and after the move is being organized in all the steps. Making a list will be a good start. There are several things you are needed to do during the moving process and keeping all these things in your head will lead to additional stress and you will forget a few things as a result. To minimize this problem and decrease the stress, write everything down. It is sure to make a huge difference. You can find several resources on the web that will assist you in this.
3. Honor the overall moving process: Moving also happens to be an emotional process. Although there are several things you have to do during the process, it also means there is a significant change in your life. You are going to leave many things behind and you will meet new people. This can lead to both excitement and stress therefore, honor the move and enjoy the process thoroughly. There are certain things you can do to relieve the anxiety such as researching the new town or neighborhood. Do not concentrate on things you are forced to leave behind, look forward to the newer, cooler things awaiting.
4. Maintain a positive mindset: Maintaining a positive mindset is helpful in all aspects of your day-to-day activities apart from moving. Science has established the fact that positive thinking helps in alleviating stress and leads to better health. Therefore, when you are faced with the stress generated by the impending move, visualize it positively. Accept it, embrace it, and above all be patient. Try to see the brighter side of things. It will certainly make a difference for the better. Look for support from family and friends rather than trying to deal with things all by yourself.
5. As far as possible reduce clutter: Clutter can be extremely stressful. Therefore, try and reduce all the instances of clutter to decrease the junk that is occupying all the additional space in the house. You will get almost immediate relief. You can use the Marie Kondo method for clearing up the clutter or just try and organize the different things into 3 piles viz. donate, throw away, and sell. This will help you quite a bit with moving as you will have lesser problems you will have to worry about. Take moving as an opportunity to remove all the clutter.
There are many articles on the web that will tell you about “how to make the move stress-free”. But you need to keep in mind that moving will induce stress as it is a significant decision. There are several things you have to do to ensure that you are doing them correctly. Like in the case of all such activities, moving means change and there are some uncertainties involved in the process. If you live in Chicago, Franklin Park, Bloomingdale IL area, you can take the help from 2 Guys And A Van for moving. The moving service company will make things less stressful.
Picture Credit: Freepik